flag IT | EN | DE | SL

THE LOST AND FOUND ROSE -LA ROSA DI ROSAZZO-

A REDISCOVERED ROSE - THE ROSE OF ROSAZZO

The rose is the symbol of the Abbey of Rosazzo. The name Rosazzo derives from the term 'Rosacis' or 'Rosazzis', referring to the spontaneous growth of an ancient rose bush belonging to the Alba class of roses. During WWI, following a visit by King Victor Emmanuel III, the abbey became a military hospital. The numerous soldiers injured on the nearby front were hospitalized here. Among the many, there was one in particular who was visited by a relative from Valli del Torre (eastern Friuli). The latter noticed that a beautiful rose bush was thriving in the gardens outside, and vowed to return to the terraces at the right time to take a cutting. That's exactly what happened, and over the years the cutting grew into a robust plant that, in honour of this place, was taken to France, the place of emigration. He asked his family to pass it on from generation to generation, which, luckily, they did. In 1929, following the famous frost that killed the vineyards, olive groves and orchards throughout Friuli Venezia Giulia, the Rosazzo rose of the Abbey also died. It was only in the early 1990s that the Abbey regained its beloved rose bush, thanks to an unexpected visit from the great-grandson of the person who tended to the Rosazzo rose bush in France. Since then, the Rosazzo rose bush has been growing in the south belvedere garden, flowering exclusively at the beginning of May. It is precisely for this reason that every first weekend in May a festival is held in its honour, called the 'Rosazzo da Rosa', where important gardeners display and sell their wonderful antique, modern, rare and collector's roses.